Snail Bait Warning
From: Bishop Ranch Veterinary Center & Urgent Care
Sent: 2/18/2006 6:31:00 PM
Subject: Snail Bait WARNING
Dear Friends and Fellow Pet Owners:
Our doctors and staff have seen an unusual number of animals poisoned
this past week from snail bait. It is in your pets' best interest
to learn about snail bait. If you suspect any of your family pets
have ingested snail bait, it is imperative they be seen by a veterinarian
immediately because symptoms of poisoning can begin within 45 minutes
Know the Facts:
The toxic ingredient in snail bait is Metaldehyde.
Snail bait constitutes the most common poisoning agent in dogs inCalifornia.
Snail bait is commonly in pellets and resembles dog food.
Snail bait is flavored with molasses or bran to attract snails,
and unfortunatly also attracts dogs.
Snail baits are also in liquid and powder forms that can be licked
off paws during normal grooming.
It takes less than a teaspoon per 10lbs of body weight for snail
bait to become toxic.
Signs of poisoning begin quickly:
Anxious twitching which becomes uncontrollable
Twitching progresses to seizures and potentially death
The muscle contractions of the twitches raise body temperature so
high that brain damage can result.
Patients can also exhibit racing heart rates, vomiting, diarrhea
and respiratory failure. Liver failure can also occur.
There is no direct antidote for metaldehyde toxicity; treatment
is aimed at controlling the tremors and seizures with IV fluids
and muscle relaxants until the poison has been cleared from the
system. Chance of recovery depends on how much poison was ingested,
how quickly therapy was initiated and the general health of the
Pet Safe Alternatives to Snail Baits include:
Sluggo Slug and Snail Bait. The active ingredient in the safe product
is Iron Phosphate.
Handpicking - picked on a regular/weekly basis the population of
snails significantly can be reduced
Java for Snails - a 1-2 percent caffeine solution can kill nearly
all the slugs and snails in your garden within two days. Coffee
grounds are a great way to keep snails and slugs away.
Copper barriers -- copper reacts with the slime the snail secretes,
causing a flow of electricity.
Call Bishop Ranch Veterinary Center & Urgent Care @ 925-866-8387
if you have any questions about snail bait poisoning.
Open Until Midnight for Routine and Urgent Medical Care
Weekdays: 7am - Midnight , Weekends: 8am - 8pm
Located at 2000 Bishop Drive , San Ramon CA 94583
Contents of this website are copyright © 1999-2003
Pug Rescue of Sacramento unless otherwise noted.